Sunday 15 July 2012

Cornish Holidays

Did you spend childhood holidays in Cornwall?  If you did, I'd like to hear from you!


I'm preparing for an exhibition of paintings which will be held in spring next year, which has the landscape of Cornwall as its theme.  Three different landscape painters, including myself, will be showcasing their different approaches to painting the same place.

My work is all about an emotional response to a landscape, about what it's actually like to be there, using lots of textures and expressive colour.  Obviously, I'm going to be going to be visiting Cornwall myself, but I'd be very interested to hear from anyone who spent their summers there (or who lives there) and what it means to you. 

What's special about Cornwall?  What sums it up for you?  A particular place? An evocative sound? A colour or smell?  What did you look forward to doing or seeing most on holiday there?  How did going to Cornwall make you feel?


Whatever it is, I'd love to hear from you.  Just leave a comment below - you don't have to be a follower to do so, and you don't have to leave your name.  Or you can drop me a line via my website.

Thank you!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Judith, I have two very strong memories of holidays in Cornwall, 40-odd years ago. The first was the wide expanse of sand, cliffs and massive surf at Watergate Bay. It is all fairly commercial now, with a surf school,etc. The self catering apartments we used to stay in are now a hotel, with Jamie Oliver's Fifteen restaurant a feature. Still a grand piece of coastline, though.

    The other place we went to was Trevissome House at Flushing on Falmouth Harbour. Self catering apartments again, in a very grand old house, which fronted onto the harbour, a massive natural safe haven which is ria, a flooded river estuary. Messing about on the harbour in boats when we were young teenagers was a fine way to spend a few days. Flushing is supposedly the warmest place in Britain. Bet it's not so nice this summer, though!
    Stephen, Lime Tree Gallery

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Stephen

    That's great, thanks very much for that - just the sort of thing I'm looking for.

    I'm sure lots of people will identify with messing about in the water, whether it's the sea or the harbour. When I've been in Cornwall, I've seen lots of the children jumping into the harbours or just swimming across amongst the boats; everyone, even very young children, have boogie boards and a wetsuit, and they're all very at home in the water. It's quite different to what I experienced on Scottish holidays, but Scotland's probably a lot colder!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We went to Cornwall for many years for our holidays in the 60s and 70s. We used to love going for picnics in secret coves and spending all day by the sea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for that!

    Anyone else got memories of Cornwall?

    ReplyDelete